Friday 11 October 2013

(Un)Cheese Toast

Well, my forays into dairy-free eating have begun. I still have this magical ability to sabotage myself instantly. I had a glass of almond milk, and then some cottage cheese. I made the following cheese toast, and then ate nachos and cheese. I can't do it, guys. I don't know what's wrong with me.


So, although the "cheddar flavoured loaf" scared my pants off, I opened it up and sliced a couple pieces. It actually felt like play-dough (which - OMG - I discovered has gluten in it!), blech.


I put two pieces of Udi's white bread on a cookie sheet and sliced some cheese on top. I could have shredded it, I know, but I'm lazy, and this is exactly how I've been making cheese toast since M made me stop buying Kraft Singles. (Gross, right? I only like them on cheese toast and I only like cheese toast with them.)

I put my oven on broil, waited a few minutes, and popped the tray in for three minutes.

After exactly three minutes, the "cheese" was melted, bubbly, and the bread was toasted. Cheese toast perfection.

Well, visually, at least. I wasn't so sure about eating it. The word "loaf" kept ringing through my head.

But it wasn't so bad! Actually, it was tasty. I truly enjoyed it, and I would make it again, happily. It was melty, cheesey, and toasty, and I didn't feel like throwing up afterwards.

It did have a funny taste. It didn't quite taste like cheese, but it wasn't unpleasant.

My first soy cheese experience? A success! I can't wait to make an actual meal with this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment