Friday 25 October 2013

Here We Go Again...

Pros of my husband being in a trade:

  1. He loves what he does
  2. He makes physical things every day, and feels accomplished
  3. He works approx. 10 months of every year, instead of going to school for 8 and only working for 4
  4. Every time he goes to school, his apprenticeship level increases, and he earns more money
Cons of my husband being in a trade:
  1. Once a year, he leaves me for two months
Do I think the cons outweigh the pros? No. Do I think that is a really sucky con? Yes.

There are four trade schools in the province, one of which is a block away from our house. However, only one of these offers his trade. So, every time he works enough hours to progress to the next level, he must go to school five days/week for eight weeks, in a city two and a half hours from here. Realistically, he has to live there for two months. There's no way he could commute such a long drive every day of the week. He can, at least, come home on the weekends (or I can go there and stay with him).

He last left in the beginning of January, right after we got back from our Christmas holidays. He got back on the day I was diagnosed with Celiac. His second round is coming up, on Monday. Tomorrow, we're driving there together, and then I'm leaving him there.

Last time sucked a lot more than this time, for the following reasons.
  1. Last time, he was gone during Valentine's day. This time, he's only missing Halloween
  2. Last time, he was gone through the two worst months, weather-wise. There was one weekend I couldn't possibly drive there, and several that I shouldn't have. 
  3. I was diagnosed with Celiac at the end of it, which means those two months he was gone were the two months I was the sickest I have ever been. I will never be that sick again. 
  4. It was the first time he was away, and I didn't know what to expect.
  5. I was a lot more emotionally unstable, possibly because my body was so ill.
  6. Last time, he rented a basement suite, in a woman's house, who I had never met before he moved there. I didn't have a problem with her, but that would make any wife a little uneasy. This time, he's staying in the spare bedroom of a couple of friends of ours.
I know that the next eight weeks are still going to suck, but I also know that they won't suck as bad as the first ones.

So, tomorrow, right after I work, M and I will be packing up, driving up, and shortly after, saying goodbye. I think I'll spend the night there, because it'll be really late if I just drive back after. One of my goals is to eat at as many GF restaurants, or at least GF-friendly restaurants as possible, so that I can tell you all about them. Keep your eyes open for my thoughts on my trip when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment