Wednesday 1 May 2013

Day 69: Coconut Chocolate Bars

I seriously can not get over wanting granola bars. They're one of those super easy things to make, that I've always enjoyed making. Since I'm cutting oats out for now, they're kind of harder to make. I've bought a few types lately, one of which was made with dates. I bought one last week, which I loved, and even Hubby thought I should buy a whole box. Boxes are expensive, so I decided to make some.

I did a little research, and then whipped up something. I overestimated how much coconut I had in the cupboard, so I would suggest adding a little more. 

The addition of chocolate takes them from a coconutty, chewy, sweet treat to a crunchy, sweet, delicious bar. This is a chewy, sweet, crunchy, square filled with coconut. Also, coconut and chocolate! How much better do you get?

2/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
Dash of sea salt
1 1/5 - 2 cups coconut
1 cup chocolate chips

Melt the coconut oil on low heat, and add in everything but the chocolate. Add the coconut like 1/3 cup or 1/2 cup at a time, until the mixture is saturated. I ended up using 1 1/3 cup, but I figure I would have used about 2 cups. 

Pour it into a pan lined with plastic wrap or foil, and chill. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, and when the coconut oil is hardened, pour the chocolate over top. Chill.

Slice up the bars and enjoy slowly!

Because I didn't have enough coconut, the mixture had a lot more oil. Which was fine, until the warm chocolate melted the coconut oil and the oil lifted to the top of the chocolate and then chilled. It actually ended up looking pretty cool, with the white swirls.


Doesn't make them any less delicious, though. Mmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment