Thursday 19 December 2013

Flour Blend

I'm not going to say this is the be-all-end-all of gluten-free flour blends. I'm not even going to say this is the only flour blend I will use. I'll more than likely use a different grain every now and then, and I'm perfectly happy to use store-bought blends. But if I want a big mix of flour that I can use confidently, this is the one I will turn to.

If I don't need a lot:

1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup white rice flour
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup potato flour
1 cup tapioca starch

Pour each flour into a large bowl and stir gently with a long spoon, or dump them all into a large ziplock bag and shake gently.

If I need a large batch of flour:

1 lb brown rice flour
1 lb white rice flour
1 lb coconut flour
1 lb potato flour
1 lb tapioca starch

I needed the largest pot in my kitchen, and then I stirred gently with a wooden spoon, and a whisk once the tapioca starch was less likely to get everywhere.

It's important to note that coconut flour is very dry. When I use this flour, I always add a little more liquid to whatever I'm making (applesauce, banana, water, milk, yogurt, etc). I also add a little xanthum gum, about one teaspoon per "batch". I'm admittedly not very precise with my xanthum gum.

No comments:

Post a Comment