Friday 20 December 2013

Banana Bread

I'm not going to say I'm an expert on banana bread, but there are twelve loaves of banana bread in my kitchen.

I used the same recipe for each one, which is why I'm no expert. I thought about trying a different recipe for them all, but that would require a lot more time, effort, footwork (different ingredients) and I can't possibly taste them all, so I wouldn't have results for you!

Ten loaves in my freezer!
Heather Christo shared a delicious-looking recipe featuring Cup4Cup brand flour that I found through Pinterest. I perused several recipes, but this one was all ingredients I already had and didn't have any complicated steps.

I did tweak it just a tiny bit. First of all, I used my own flour blend. I have some Cup4Cup in my pantry, but not enough for twelve loaves. I also added xanthum gum, a little extra banana, and I measured my flour by weight.

Before I started on any of this, I figured out how much of each ingredient I would need, and I set out to the grocery store. I bought eighty bananas. We actually counted them all too.


Yep... So, my process once I started was pretty simple.

I'd start with bananas in the food processor. I needed about four bananas per loaf (which is less than I had anticipated). While the bananas were mashing, I'd toss the room temperature butter and sugar in the stand mixer. While I was waiting for both of those, I'd turn on the oven and grease the loaf pans.

When they were both ready, I'd pour the banana into the stand mixer and start it on a low speed. Next, the eggs go in one at a time, and a little bit of vanilla. That needed a little while to mix, and it afforded me time to separately mix the dry ingredients.

I'd measure out the flour into a bowl on top of the scale, and then add the other dry ingredients. Stir them together, and by the time, the wet mixture was usually ready, so I'd add the milk and then spoon the flour mixture in as well. Scrape sides, mix on varying speeds, repeat. And done!

I'd pour most of the batter into the greased loaf pan, and there was usually a little bit more than could fit, so I'd scoop the rest into my muffin tin. The loaf went in for 50 minutes, give or take, and the muffins took 10-20 minutes (depending on how many I'd filled). All said and done, it took me about twenty minutes. It could take more, but I don't see how I could take much less time. Maybe if I don't count measuring the ingredients or mashing the bananas, it would probably take ten minutes or so.


Gluten-Free Banana Bread
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 1/4 cups banana
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 7.4 oz gluten-free flour mix
  • 1 teaspoon xanthum gum
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 cup milk
Instructions
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan.
  2. Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
  3. Add banana and vanilla. Mix well. Add eggs one at a time and beat until fluffy.
  4. In a seperate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Add these and milk to the batter and beat until well mixed.
  5. Pour into the loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  6. Let cool until you can turn it out and slice it. Or wrap it and gift it, like I did!

I would love to show you pictures of my process, but I was too busy baking as fast as I could (to go to bed as fast as possible) to take picture. I would also love to show you pictures of the loaves outside of the pans, but I actually haven't removed one! I'm only hoping they all come out okay...

I bought little cardboard/silicon loaf pans, meant for bread to baked in, and then gifted in. That's why I haven't taken one out of a pan, because I'm presenting them all right in the pan! 

The loaf pans also came with little plastic bags and a length of red ribbon, so my job was super easy! When a loaf was done baking, I'd let it cool, pop it in a plastic bag and throw it in the freezer. I had to start baking five days before the exchange, so I froze almost all of them.

Morning of, I pulled them out of the freezer, tied ribbon around them and packed them all into a bin.


Aren't they just adorable?

No comments:

Post a Comment