Monday 25 May 2015

Celiac Disease Awareness Month: Skin Care

I made a small mistake yesterday. I'm glad I caught it in time, but it still made me very sad.

I went shopping at The Body Shop today, for some new facial skin care. I conveniantly ran out of fash wash and moisturizer at the same time, so I popped in to pick up some new stuff. I looked at all of their facial lines, and picked the one best for my skin. I read a little bit about on their signs, and then picked out four products: facial wash, toner, moisturizer, and a BB cream. They had a really good deal on, so I was pretty excited.

When I got home and was getting ready for bed, I started to wash my face. Just before opening the bottle, I thought, maybe, just maybe I should read the ingredients, mostly to check for parabens.

And there it was, staring me in the face, wheat germ oil. My heart sunk. I couldn't put that on my face, on such sensitive skin, and so close to my mouth, in good conscious.

Well, I thought that if it was just the face wash, I'd be okay. So I check the toner. Wheat germ oil. Then the moisturizer. It was the very first ingredient. My heart sinking, I morosely picked up the BB cream. Nope, it had it too. There was no way I could put all four of these on my face every day. No way.

So I'm taking the products back today. I talked to them, and I'll get my money back, but the big sale isn't on anymore, so I won't get new products for the same price.

It's so strange. I usually neurotically check the ingredients on everything. I read several other products, including the two other things I bought (a foot lotion and soothing leg cream). But the one time I didn't think to, I mess up.

I'm partly posting this to complain, and partly to remind people that celiacs do need to read the ingredients on body products. You never know where gluten could be hiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment