Wednesday 27 May 2015

Celiac Disease Awareness Month: Allergic

You know when someone says something, and a few hours later you come up with the perfect response? Such a depressing moment.

And then you know when you manage to come up with the perfect response and say it, on the spot? Oh, such a satisfying moment.

I had one of those moments today. Once a month, my workplace serves cake to celebrate all the birthdays and new employees. Most of my coworkers know about my diet restrictions, so I hardly even notice cake days anymore. But one of my coworkers grabbed two slices of cake, and then found out the other person already had a slice. He walked past my desk and this took place:

"Well Robynne will eat it, won't she?"

"Nope!"

"Really? Why not?"

"I'm allergic."

"Bullshit!"

"Well, technically I have an autoimmune disorder that causes my body to react to it and make me sick, but you're right - it's not an allergy!"

He laughed and walked away. I don't know if he got the point, or if he'll keep pushing food on me (he's done it before!), but I was pretty proud of my quick reply. Haha.

Oh, and yes, I was insanely bothered by the rather rude "bullshit", but whatever. There will probably always be people who hate on gluten-free-eaters, just for the sake of it, but that's what I'm trying to do - Point out that we aren't all worthy of the hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment