Wednesday 5 March 2014

BBQ Chicken and Potatoes in a Slow Cooker

When I don't have much time to prep dinner, I steer towards my slow cookers, because I can put something together at lunch and then eat it a few hours later. When I don't plan for something specific (and find ingredients and a recipe), then I fall back on one simple guideline: Potatoes, chicken, flavour. It's simple, low-prep and fool-proof. I usually have chicken and potatoes on hand, whatever flavour I use can vary from spices to sauces, whatever I'm feeling or whatever's handy.

I buy baby potatoes, and we like eating them with the skins on. You could peel and cube larger ones, but slices of potatoes also works well. You want to cover the whole bottom of the pot.



Any solid piece of meat works, including turkey breast, drumsticks, pork tenderloins, chicken thighs, or whatever your family likes. Throw the meat on top of the potatoes and add a cup of water.


If you're using spices, rub down the meat before adding it, if you're using a sauce, pour it over top right about now. I used Amazing Dad's BBQ Sauce.


Okay, so I like my food a little saucier. I added a little more sauce than looked pretty.


Leave it on low for four - six hours. Depending on your slow cooker, you may need the high setting. My largest one doesn't quite cook it in that time frame on low, but my smaller ones will burn it on high.


And presto! Delicious dinner is ready and waiting for you. No, it's not a perfectly balanced meal with four food groups, but you could add some chopped carrots or other vegetables to the potatoes (before cooking), and of course you could eat bread and dairy if you want, but I avoid both of those, so this is a perfect meal for me. It's a lot better than mac & cheese too.


No comments:

Post a Comment