Saturday 24 August 2013

Oven Tacos

I discovered a fantastic Pinterest idea again.

First of all, you need to know that we eat tacos more than normal people do, and honestly more than I would like to. We buy Old El Paso kits that are super easy, conveinant, and tasty. We'll buy four or five at a time, and sometimes eat them all in a couple weeks, and sometimes not touch them for months. It comes and goes.

We've been on a bit of a taco kick lately, but hubby and I disagree on one factor: Stand 'N' Stuff, or the regular tacos? I like the Stand 'N' Stuff, because they don't fall over on my plate, but hubby likes the regular because the bottoms don't break as often when you're eating them. I think they all break and make a terrible mess all over my plate no matter what I do.

Along comes Pinterest, the magical internet fairy, with this recipe for Oven Tacos! The idea is, you place taco shells in a pan, fill them with meat mixture and cheese, and bake them. It softens up the bottoms of the shells, and means they crack and break less. It also saves stuffing time, and would be super convenient if we were feeding children, because you just have to add your extras - which in our house is tomato, lettuce and sour cream.

My dearest hubby went out on a Saturday morning and bought everything we needed, and made them for me, one of our basement-dwelling friends*, and an out-of-town friend who is staying with us for a week.

It was really nice to eat lunch with four people at the table. I forget sometimes how much my heart misses a large family, a full living room, a crowded table, and sitting on the floor between your sisters' legs to watch a movie. Our house has more bedrooms than my parent's ever had, and yet it is emptier than my childhood home ever was.



* I am of course referring to one of our two dear friends who each rent a bedroom in our basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment