Monday 7 April 2014

Chocolate Breakfast Muffins

I did work on spring cleaning this weekend, but I got stalled and distracted a lot. My sister came into town (she lives on a farm 1.5 hours from here) and I spent a ton of time with her. I also decided to make chocolate muffins.

A friend of mine posted a photo of her adorable 9-month-old baby covered in gluten-free chocolate muffins crumbs, and I asked for the recipe. I've been in kind of a baking funk for a really long time, but having a clean kitchen now makes me want to bake again. After reading through the recipe and realizing I had everything I needed, I made it. Simple as that.


The recipe comes from Gluten Free on a Shoestring. My friend has the cookbook, but she tracked down and shared the blog recipe.


Sweet, moist, fluffy chocolate muffins without chocolate chips. I kept wishing they had chocolate chips in them as I ate them, but I'm trying so hard to eat a little healthier, so I told myself they were perfect without chips.


The biggest challenge to this recipe was the buttermilk. Apparently the cookbook version calls for buttermilk, but the blog version calls for milk and apple cider vinegar (essentially the same thing!). I used almond milk and lemon juice, although the vegan blogs I looked at told me to use soy milk and lemon juice, I found almond milk worked out just fine. I did use real butter, because I bought a bunch of butter right before I started trying really hard to eat dairy-free, so I have to use all that up before I will allow myself to buy some vegan butter.


Anyways. The muffins were super easy to make, and even easier to eat! ;)

Okay, I didn't eat them all in one day. I wanted to, but I didn't.

The whole house smelled amazing while these were in the oven. I want to make them again just so my house will smell that good again. Or maybe I could just keep baking other things.


Oh, and I didn't manage to take a picture before I ate one. I dare you to make these and take pictures before devouring even one!

No comments:

Post a Comment